Wednesday 18 April 2012

Me, Myself or I

Watching the Apprentice annoys me every single week.

Apart from the obvious.

When Lord Sugar asks "who was the project manager on this task?" the person in question always answers "that was myself".

I think to myself, "don't they mean me?" and so I looked it up.

Yes. It should be me. Not me on the Apprentice, perish the thought, but the word "me" instead of "myself".

Basically, "me" is always correct in the me/myself choice except in one condition. That condition is when the person speaking is both subject and object of the sentence.

I saw myself in the mirror.
I chose it myself.
I doubt myself.

"Me" or "I" is simple to know. If in doubt, take out the other people/things involved and think how it would sound:

Bananas and me are often seen in Tesco.
or
Bananas and I are often seen in Tesco.

Me is often seen in Tesco.
or
I am often seen in Tesco.

Obviously, it's "I".

Tesco is fed up of bananas and me.
or
Tesco is fed up of bananas and I.

Tesco is fed up of me.
or
Tesco is fed up of I.

"Me" this time.
Easy.

If you are the subject of a sentence, the correct way to address yourself is "I". If you are the object, then it is "me". If you are both, then use "I" and "myself".

I upset myself by looking at other common grammar errors.

Affect/effect. Duh. One is a verb and one is a noun.

Allusion/illusion. They're different words!

There's lots of them. Ugh. Think people, think.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is one of the most annoying things about watching the show. It's as if they're unwilling to accept that the word "me" is part of the language.