Friday 13 February 2009

To obey

I have been asked to comment on this story about Salma Hayek, telling us why she chose to fly to Sierra Leone to breastfeed another woman's baby.

This is undoubtedly an act of amazing kindness and humanity, to show that it is a natural and wonderful thing for mothers to do.

The article states that infant mortality is high in Sierra Leone, that it is recommended that mothers breastfeed for two years in order to combat malnutrition, but that there is a stigma attached to breastfeeding, so few women do this.

I started writing along the lines of my usual rant about how formula isn't actually the devil's work and how it doesn't harm your child. I believe that the western world has gone too far towards "breast is best", that those who have to use formula are left unadvised and made to feel like they have failed. That's unfair and wrong and "breast is best" does get shoved down your throat to the extent that parents feel it would be wrong to ever allow formula to pass their precious infant's lips under any circumstances. Health professionals are not allowed to offer any advice that promotes formula feeding and the whole attitude and bombardment with posters and information does implant the "formula is evil" belief. As an asthmatic, with allergies to pretty much anything I could be allergic to, that was breastfed as an infant, with a formula fed brother who has no such things, as well as being the much despised mother who gave up and didn't do the best for her babies (why they'd want my antibodies at all is another question). I feel inclined to rant. I have two very healthy three year olds and have no regrets about formula feeding them - I had no choice but would have preferred not to have been criticised.

But that is not the issue here. I live in a country where I have good hygiene, access to a kettle, a steriliser and a fridge, and a supermarket supply of good quality formula.

For most mothers, breast is best. Those who cannot breast feed, and those who have to supplement with formula should get better support, but it does remain that breastfeeding is natural and good. The WHO recommends that all infants should be fed breastmilk until at least the age of six months, ideally until the age of two, based on those countries in the world (that's the W bit, there's so much more of the world that isn't us) that have substandard conditions and so would be unlikely to have quality formula or satisfactory infant nutrition. The people in these countries need to know that it is good and natural to breastfeed, that breastmilk can help to combat malnutrition in infants, that it is a wonderfully healthy thing to do for mother and child.

An infant cries when it wants fed. It screams its little lungs out. It wants fed now. Like right now. Immediately. No, not when you get to a convenient location. Now. It screams louder. And so you have to feed them where you are (within reason). It is quite wonderful that our society now is such that a mother can sit and discreetly breastfeed a baby - and they are discreet, you'd have to go and peer behind the baby to see - without causing offence.

There are those who are offended, they should be shot.
There are those mothers who make a scene and are not discreet, who make sure the whole world knows what they're doing, and who it would be nice to shoot. Grudgingly, their sort should be thanked for the fact that it's now acceptable, but can someone please tell them it's time to stop making a scene?

Other countries do not have that luxury, it is still a stigma. And for that reason alone, what Salma Hayek did is quite remarkable. To demonstrate that it is a good thing to do, to show that it need not be something women are uncomfortable doing.

I didn't think I was going to say that.
I meant to say that you could have flown a lot of Aptimel to Sierra Leone for one Salma Hayek.
I think formula has a number of benefits, I think formula needs to be de-demonised.I don't think wet nurses are the future, I don't think a mother that cannot produce milk should get another woman's milk. I don't think that's the answer, I think good quality formula should be made available if the mother cannot produce her own milk.
For that reason I was going to say Salma Hayek did the wrong thing.
But that isn't the point, she wasn't providing milk, she was making a statement and what a wonderful statement that is:

"Look at me, I am doing something wonderful, and it is so wonderful I will travel across the world to do it for another woman's child."


2 comments:

Stipey Sullivan said...

Well that's a forthright, emotive and considered post, MD. And I obviously wouldn't disagree with any of your points on a theoretical basis.

The problem is in Africa is that companies like Nestle propagate the idea that formula milk is better (not just as good) & more modern - in conditions where women don't have the money to afford to buy baby milk, or the sanitory conditions to sterilise it. Obviously it's patronising for me as a westerner to tell them what they should or shouldn't do (let alone as a man) but I think what Salma H was doing was showing them that it's okay to choose to breastfeed. How much difference it would make is another matter. It's that old proverb: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
http://www.ibfan.org/site2005/Pages/article.php?art_id=23&iui=1

MD said...

Is that not what I said?

Before I had children, I thought all women should breastfeed. End of. That's what you're told. Breast is best, but what isn't considered is what happens if you can't. There's a belief that it is lack of effort, that it's natural and that it just takes time and education. That, I found, in this country, is inaccurate.

Women in sierra leone have a different life in terms of what's available to them, what protects them and how they are perceived and treated. We can only offer advice. We are always patronising in the west in the way we try to enforce our understanding on people who have quite different lifestyles and beliefs. Recommendations are already there, but there is fear which needs to be allayed before changes will follow.

I see two issues here. One, the title of the article is "why I breastfed another woman's baby". I don't believe if that was an American friend of Salma's that it would be the right thing to do.

But what she did, why she did it, is to say "look, this is ok, I can do it, you could too" which is an amazing thing to do. More of that and the fear will slowly dissipate, allowing women to make a choice. That's what we all need, to make an informed choice and not to be judged for it.