Monday 2 February 2009

Twitterific

To be entirely boring: Twitter and iPhone. Tune out now.

Twitter is amusing me lots. For some reason everyone I asked to join, did. Maybe because I didn't ask everyone-I-know and asked the ones that possibly might be interested in my updates. Just the one missing, who will be returning to normal life tomorrow and will hopefully comply.

Richard Herring joined hours after I suggested he did on his guestbook. This may be complete coincidence, but if it is true, then how marvellous is the internet? To be able to say "hey you, this is great, try it" to someone who has no idea who you are, someone who you'd like to read about, and they do. Not because it's you*, obviously, but because it's a cool thing.

*delusional daydreaming aside

There's all manner of other stalkerworthy people on there and I am reminded of how amusing Chris Addison (the second most attractive man on the planet), Dave Gorman and Stephen Fry (the patron saint of Twitter) actually are. And then I added people I don't actually normally think about, like Phillip Schofield (who's very interesting and I had nothing against him, just didn't think about him) and Jonathan Ross (who I may delete, he's a bit annoying, which is always is, slight error of judgement). Ben Goldacre (new hero) has interesting little snippets.

It's a bit strange, like blogging lite. But it's sort of the opposite of stalking, those who wish to be stalked provide the information so the stalkers can legitimately read it. Which is a little weird really. But hey. Look at me getting all giddy over some celebrity tweeting. They're not ACTUALLY talking to me, I'm just reading it.

Of course there's the lovely thing of updates from friends. Always nice. And more important than the above starry eyed awe would indicate.

Come play. Click the link over there and join the mindlessness. There is no point, that's the point.

Daily iPhone love: I got Tweetie for it. I did. I'm so sad. I paid £1.79 for it, but oh it is nice. And while I was throwing money at Apple, I downloaded Yahtzee Adventures. I love Yahtzee. I actually wore out the section of the screen on my Palm where the "roll again" button was (this is why you want a screen that functions like the iPhone or G1, not like the B****b***y or any other W****** mobile device). It's ace. I could play Yahtzee forever and this has a bizarro adventure mode. Best game ever (that doesn't feature Mario).

Gratuitous picture of Chris Addison:



NB Still reading Bye Bye Balham by Richard Herring. It's great. Buy it from here . While you're at it, buy this from Amazon, it's fabulous.

6 comments:

Keir Hardie said...

Twitter is having an amazing explosion in my consciousness very recently - it's been vaguely annoying me for years now but last week my girlfriend joined it, Then Richard Herring, then a couple of hours ago I was reading Charlie Brooker in The Guardian and I see he's just joined! While I was typing 'joined' there my news feed reader told me there was one new one from my girlfriend and FOUR from Richard Herring!

I expect to join at some point once people have started going on and on about the next thing - that's how it goes for me, I joined myspace once people were droning on about facebook and I joined facebook once they were droning on about twitter. It wasn't deliberate, but now I've noticed I'm wondering if I should break the cycle.

I predict that within well under a month Richard Herring will be finding most of the replies he gets annoying! He really loathed myspace by the end. He seems to be really enjoying the actual microblogging though, so that will probably continue, although I expect he'll eventually cool off to the point where he's no longer telling everyone when he goes to bed!

MD said...

Ah, go on. You know you want to.
You want an iPhone too.
Feel the love.
Obsess with the masses.

I used to have my own mind, I'm sure.

Scumbag Sam said...

but.. I just don't 'get' twitter... is it not like the facebook status thing, minus thge facebook page? Is it really worth it? I don't think I have any friends who would want to join and or follow my musings... I think I just talked myself out of it! hehe

You can slap me, but who is this guy in the picture? chris someone? no, seriously, he is cute, what-he-do? I could google, but that would make your reply redundant, and I aint going to do that in these troubled times! it might never find another 'reply' job again! :(

side note: word verif is CREPHIN... sounds like a sick disease! Blergh!

MD said...

See, that's what I always thought about twitter, I signed up a year ago and thought nah, there's no point. I put "not sleeping" and left it. I did wonder at one of my friends using it so much, then I thought I'd give it a try.

It's not so much status updates as random comments. And by ace people. I love chris Addison a little more with every tweet. Try it. I bet you've signed up and thought, nah.

Follow chris Addison, follow me. What more could you want? People just put links and photos and things that amuse them. It's amusing.

Ace word verification, it does sound horrid.

Chris Addison's a comedian that's been around for a while but is now more noticeable after being in Lab Rats. He's utterly lovely, very clever and really funny.

Scumbag Sam said...

ahhh, hmmm, ok, ok ok. I havent got one, but I will.. I will do it right now! I am easily swayed... I will blame you if anything goes wrong hahah! :P

MD said...

Well, it's probably my fault anyway. Something will be.

Thanks for joining :-)
because, like, it's mine you know.