Monday 4 May 2009

Ashes to Ashes

I love Ashes to Ashes. I accept that it isn't as good or as clever as Life on Mars (which was tarnished by the ending anyway) but I love it. Being the age I was, I thought everything grown ups did was marvellous and Alex Drake is exactly how I wanted to grow up. I have a massive girlcrush on Alex Drake.

So. Obsessed.

Current theory on ending

Hospitalised person at start of series 2 is patently not Alex Drake, the nurses are talking about her not being found.
So...
I reckon that it's Sam Tyler, his awakening, suicide and what not, as well as the whole Alex Drake story are part of his coma dream. He will awaken at the end of this series.

But, Alex Drake is real, he is hearing all the "we've got her" stuff from medics, the news footage is real, and when he awakens, she is there in the hospital, also awoken from a coma. Confused recognition on both parts in a Sliding Doors moment.

I fear we are meant to think it's Sam Tyler.

Or, it's an old Gene Hunt in the bed and the Tyler/Drake characters could be real from his "future".

Well, episode 3's on in a few minutes, which will undoubtedly blow this theory to smithereens. Ho la.

2 comments:

Helena said...

I've never watched Ashes and Life On Mars and I'm usually hit with the "whiiiiit? D'ye ken whit yer missing.!?

I do admire Keeley Hawes and though she played the part well in Tipping The Velvet. That was a hit with the guys also, I wonder why.?

MD said...

Actually, if you haven't watched any of it, then the whole Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes has got progressively less good as it goes on. I like it for daft reasons. John Simm is a marvellous actor, he made Life on Mars great. Philip Glennister is ace, but without John Simm to bounce off, he's not so good. Keeley Hawes is immensely likeable, but she isn't in the same league as John Simm. Who may or may not have two Ms, it looks wrong. Hmm.

Anyway. Good as it may be, I don't think it's be worth catching up now. Disappointment abounds.

Unlike The Wire. Watch that if you haven't already. It is wonderful.