Saturday 31 March 2012

Don't be stupid then

I think I love Shea Gunther, not least for having a really cool name.

I'm not sure how old the news is, and I've read lots about it elsewhere, but he purportedly massively offended lots and lots of people by sending a BCC'd email to 900 or so applicants for a job explaining what was wrong with the unsuccessful applicants.

Naturally, the illiterati (a word that I seem to spell differently every time I use it - how many t's do I give it?) are up in arms about being chastised. Which makes me immediate warm to him.

Right, first off if you care, you may wish to read the text of the actual email. You can do this here

And read his response to the outrage
here.

If he'd picked out individuals, then yes, that would have been wrong. Or if he had failed to BCC them and merely CC'd instead, which is a particular bugbear of mine and something many, many people fail to consider. Including, incidentally and digressionally, my children's primary school.

It's good advice, and nobody makes you read emails. It's not like a curtly concise letter of unsuccessfulness makes you happy. Even a gushingly polite and apologetic rejection letter is still a rejection letter. A rejection letter produces the following emotion: rejection.

If it invokes other emotions that's down to the individual.

So if it also gives you some useful tips, where's the harm?

Oh yes, I remember. It's the old elitist element of caring about how things are written.

Note: elitist there is an illiterati term. It usually comes shortly before/after some reference to tyranny.

I ranted recently about the lack of caring about writing properly in those who write for a living. I can't help but admire someone picking them up on it. Sorry, but it's all common sense.











No comments: