Wednesday 14 March 2012

Equality

Equal opportunities. Oh how woefully misunderstood that is.

When will people realise that true equality comes when which gender, race, disability, religion, sexuality, or any other potential divide a person belongs to does not matter in the slightest?

All individuals should have the same opportunities, regardless of who or what they are. That is equality.

Equality does not mean a 50/50 split between groups. Nor does it mean a representative split according to distribution of members of any group.

I'll say it again. Equality means IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO OR WHAT YOU ARE; IT MATTERS WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF.

I find myself in the horrifying situation of agreeing with Theresa May. Women should progress because they are good enough. They should be offered the same opportunities as men, and if they are the best person for a job, then they get the job. The same applies to the disabled, ethnic minorities, and any other groups potentially subject to positive discrimination. Quotas are discriminatory against those that don't meet the quota requirements, which is every bit as unfair as negative discrimination.

Getting a job because you are a woman is no better for society and equality than not getting it because you are a woman.

Incidentally, I don't really personally subscribe to the idea of modern feminism. I would if we didn't have the right to vote, or be educated, or anything else that I mostly take for granted and should give hearty thanks to the feminists of old for achieving for me. I have had my idiocy explained to me, and issues outlined, but I remain unconvinced.

No comments: