Tuesday 22 June 2010

Time thieves

It may come as a surprise but I don't rate summer much. I prefer winter. Autumn rocks.

One of the things I hate most about impending summer is the loss of an hour when the clocks go forward to BST, or GMT +1 as I think of it, the +1 being stolen.

There is talk of NOT GIVING IT BACK. The clocks would stay forward in October, keeping my hour forever, and then go forward again in March. Preposterous! To put us in line with Europe. Presumably they'll be robbing Portugal too, or do we not mind about that?

Supposedly it is better to be light in the evening, so commuters can get home in daylight. It'll be fine to be dark until 9.30 in the morning though, people are tireder in the evening and more likely to crash.

I beg to differ. I am awake in the evening, this is barely true of any morning. I have long hoped for the abolishment of BST, it being an outdated practice since the advent of electrical light. But this is Not On.

GMT here means it gets light around 8.30 and dark around 4.00 in mid December. Those times correspond with school times. Children travel to and from school in daylight. If it gets light at 9.30, they will travel in the dark in the morning for a couple of months a year. Not exactly ideal.

I have heard further rumour of a different time zone in Scotland. I most sincerely hope that means we get our hour back. If I can't trust in the UK government, can I trust in the Scottish one? I don't care much if we share a time zone with England, I do actually care if my children get to school safely.

Seems Mr Cameron is keener for independence for Scotland than most of Scotland is. Way to annoy the Scots, again.

I read an argument for the new time saying that the rising sun is dangerous for drivers. Well, don't drive your kids to school! Simple. Solves soooooo many problems. The other argument being that we are being dinosaurs. Yes! Abolish BST!! BST + 2 is just wrong.

I just want my hour, Charlie.







No comments: