Wednesday 19 May 2010

I think...

Lists. They're nice, aren't they?
And this is a list of things I have argued about recently, other things that I care about and some general ponderance. None of this is new.

1) I like being married and I don't really understand why people don't want to. That's not to say that it's wrong not to be married or that marriage is right. I just think it's nice and would therefore recommend it. I do think it should be separated from the religious thing, also the whole concept of ownership where daddy hands his daughter over. It's very old fashioned and as someone rightly pointed out to me, it should be known as a legal step and not dressed up as being about values. As I said before, you stay together for love, you marry for legal rights. And in a lot of cases, for a big wedding.

2) I like being girlie, and I like men being manly. At the same time I think we are very lucky that men can be nannies and women can be engineers and it's only the narrow minded that object, not the industry.

3) Everyone should have the same opportunities. Age, race, gender and disabilities should not be an issue. If you can do, you should have the chance to do. All things should be made accessible to anyone it can be. Positive discrimination should never be required.

4) The media sucks big time and people really ought to think more for themselves. Evidence, evidence. Particular reference to: MMR and anyone who didn't get it because of the fake scandal.

5) Medicines are subject to testing and regulation. Natural/alternative remedies are incorporated as medicine if they work. Quinine, opium, physiotherapy. All brillian. Sure, try a plant based homepathic thing if it works for you, but don't reject conventional medicine (wheatgrass doesnt cure cancer, sorry) and find out as much as you can about anything you take.
St John's Wort, for example. Can cause photosensitivity so severe that a person can be unable to be in sunlight at all. Can also cause contraception to fail. Not good.

6) Mocking people isn't nice. Whether it's printing photos of celebrities' cellulite or telling people they can't sing, it's cruel.

7) Apple are scumbags. But I love my iPhone and would sell my soul for an iMac

8) I do think my Vauxhall Astra is the benchmark by which all cars should be judged. Luckily this is easy as most cars are actually Vauxhall Astras.

9) The coalition could be actually all right. My main issues with the Tory party are that they hold some outdated (bigoted) beliefs. But if the LibDem influence can mellow those beliefs, then right wing ain't all bad. Some Labour policies were quite wrong, so we should wait and see.

9) As I rarely finish an interaction without feeling the need to apologise, sometimes it's easier not to interact. Lack of contact from me doesn't mean I don't love you any more, it means I'm feeling unlovable.

10) I miss going to work. I don't miss Monday mornings. I do miss Friday afternoons.

11) Something wakes me each morning at 5.34. I hate it, whatever it is. Probably either the sun or birds, both of whom I hate anyway. Grr.

12) 220 days till Christmas.

13) This is a crap post. Ah well. I'll post some blossom:



2 comments:

Keir Hardie said...

Due to tiredness, I thought this post started "Lies. They're nice, aren't they?
And this is a list of things I have lied about recently..." then when I started reading it slowly dawned on me that what I was reading didn't match that description, and I tried reading the start again.

MD said...

It would be unwise to blog about lies I've told. Unless it was "lies I have been caught out in". That would make sense. I don't think I've told any lies of note lately though. Hmm.