Wednesday 5 May 2010

Voting sickness

I feel ill. Literally ill. I am so very nervous about the result of the election. And so this is going to be mostly a flow of incoherent consciousness...

I found this interesting website today: votematch.org.uk (handy how I don't make links be links, huh?) which has taken up a large chunk of my day.

Unsurprisingly, I came out as matching Liberal Democrats. I think they're rather marvellous, I like pretty much all they say and, erm, yes they could promise the moon on a stick. But still.

Unsurprisingly, I don't agree with the Conservatives at all. 6% concurrence, and I can be sure that the matter on which we agree (for there is but one) is that it'd be nice if people started to get married again. Unlike them, I'd extend it to any couple, but that wasn't asked.

Surprisingly, I matched rather well with the Green Party, other than on the small issue of environmental issues.

SNP also, except I'm not passionate about getting rid of Trident and don't particularly have a burning urge to be independent.

Labour: mostly I agree, but I don't have the anarchist streak required to be a true Labour supporter.

UKIP: relatively sensible on SOME things. Don't agree with them on, erm, Europe, which is a bit of a sticking point.

BNP: I am convinced they must be a joke party. Really. Have a read of their manifesto, it's amusing.

Or, it's quite terrifying that people think like that, get away with it and have supporters. They make appalling statements and actually seem to think it's ok. They use the term "from the third world" as if this is the most despicable thing of all. Some people clearly don't realise that some immigrants actually came from parts of the world we wouldn't want to go on holiday to!!! And I'm not entirely sure where they draw the line at who they classify as immigrants. Anyone who isn't caucasian and a native English speaker is my guess. And I think "from the third world" is a search-and-replace effort for a nonPC term.

But they say it. And get votes. Not very many. But here's the scary bit. On many issues, the Tories share the exact same viewpoint as BNP.

For example, they both think that anyone convicted of a crime that wasn't born in this country should be deported. I have heard this genuinely justified, without even qualifying "crime" as serious.

Tonight I listened to a Tory MP state that we "have to stop Labour's open door policy".

Why is this?

I haven't actually heard a single reason why it is a bad thing that we have immigrants in this country, legal or not. It is merely stated that they are here. They use our health service! As they would expect to. As they should. They take our jobs! And pay taxes. I don't see the problem. I don't understand why it's a key issue.

Ok, I am from Scotland and any incomers are welcome due to our declining/aging population. We have NHS dentists again! We have cool delis! Alex Salmond loves stating how cool we are about immigrants.

Most of us.

So, maybe it's different down south. But it would be nice if people could explain the problem, I just don't get it.

Aside from immigration and the BNP/Tory crossover, I don't agree with anything else the Tories say (apart from marriage). I don't want a Tory government. I detest David Automaton Cameron.

And people are going to vote for them, because they have been brainwashed by the media into hating Labour. Who aren't that bad. Really, they're not.

There's a LOT of "anything but Labour" about. Which is why I feel kinda sick. If we don't vote Labour then that means...

I dream (in a futile manner) of a Liberal win, (in a hopeful
manner) of a Labour win or (in a semi-realistic manner) of a hung parliament, and console myself that if the Tories do win, Scotland will be swiftly independent.

Wittering over. I remember now I'm not meant to talk about politics because I'm an idiot. Ah well.

No comments: