Thursday 11 February 2010

Feel good and think

Asda have a wheen of books at the moment for £1. A lot of them are actually really good, most of them I have already read (low brow in other words) or own but haven't read (more high brow, and accounting for 99% of my books). But irresistible for merely one hundred pennies.

And so I found myself reading a book entitled "The Self Preservation Society" by Kate Harrison, which I was pleasantly surprised (dreadful cover) to really enjoy.

The protagonist is one Jo Morgan, who leads a very safe life, taking no risks and taking many, many precautions in case of the unthinkable. Until she almost dies in an unlikely accident and begins to realise how much of life she was missing out on by refusing to take any risks in any way.

The story of Jo's healing, and the people in her life helping or adapting to her changing perspectives, is an amusing, poignant and a thoroughly good read. It makes the reader consider their own life and for anyone who may be reluctant to take risks, or who live in fear of perceived risks, would quite possibly benefit from reading this.

Pop to Asda, or ask me for a loan of it if you know where to find me. And if you wait a wee while, I can report back on the second £1 book, The Brown Owl's Guide to Life by the same author.




No comments: