Wednesday 4 January 2012

How not to get money

I'm feeling extremely ripped off. I have been selling items on eBay, firstly I sold some maternity items which were very cheap but got them a new home, out of mine and made me a tiny profit.

Then I sold some of my 1980s toys. First up were some Sindy dolls which generated a LOT of interest. I managed to get a small but countable amount of money for these. Grand.

Then I encountered the joy that is PayPal. They take a proportion of the sold fee, but the money paid is held by them until receipt is confirmed by the buyer. According to a patronising response from PayPal to a rant from me, this "protects me" if the buyer raised a dispute, I would have money in my account to refund them.

I do feel immensely protected. Should an unscrupulous buyer rip me off, PayPal would cheerfully reimburse them from my money. Excellent!

This is because I am a new seller apparently and will continue to happen until I have been a seller for 90 days.

How is receipt confirmed? Not, as claimed by PayPal, by sending it recorded delivery. The only way to get the money is by the buyer leaving positive feedback. So if they don't bother or aren't satisfied, I don't get my money until PayPal feels like it, which can be 21 days or more.

That protection again. I'd hate my money to be all unprotected in my bank account where I could spend it and other unsafe things. Shudder. Thank you PayPal.

They also take a full week to credit funds to my bank account. I am told that it is NOT a week, it is 5 working days, not including weekends, which would be clearly idiotic to think of as constituting a week. Transfer on Monday, credited the following Monday. Not a week.

This is to the verified bank account that all payments go into. Complicated. But PayPal remind me it is not a wire transfer and that is why it can't be faster. Right you are.

I have had two people unsatisfied. One who bought a Sindy doll and complained it didn't have a stand. The description stated that the stand wasn't included, but her English isn't good. Or she's over fussy or just horrid. Another was surprised that the 30 year old Ken doll she paid £2 for was a bit worn. As stated.

Today I have the best. I sold two items belonging to my Gabrielle Designs Paddington Bear. Good money raised. The pyjamas and dressing gown were received and acknowledged and all was fine. For the suitcase, I received a message requesting that I post it immediately as it was a christmas present for a niece. I did, full of christmas spirit and all (posting the pyjama package at the same time).

Nothing. Nada. No acknowledgement yet I discovered this morning that they did in fact receive it. They are selling it, for more than twice what they paid me

No response so far to a polite request for feedback, or a question as to why they are selling their nieces Christmas present. I guess a user with nearly 2000 transactions and username of paddybearfan isn't likely to be making a one off purchase for a niece.

So I shall *patiently* wait for PayPal to make up their mind and see what denials can be made by my buyer.

3 comments:

Scumbag Sam said...

Urgh, paypal. I've never used them as a seller, only a buyer but that sounds shit! And I work in a place where we make payments that take '5 working days', which is a joke. The only reason it's 5 is because of the bank. They have 2 days to 'process' the payments and this is done manually I think... well, with a system but people have to process them. Nothing is automatic. Except online banking. Which is how everything should work now anyway because it's instant and its only numbers being transferred... not actual cash... this is something that really annoys me!

as for the person selling on poor old paddington's possessions, give them a BAD review and bad mouth them on their wall etc. Because that is not on! A bad review can kill a seller, so kill them I say! :P

MD said...

An update:

PayPal have today paid me. It seems my excessive ranting at them has put me on some list and I now get emails from a Proper Person rather than a minion.
If I have the money in 2-3 days I'll truly eat my words.

The buyer tells me they were disappointed with the item and are trying to recoup losses. Of an item that was as described and at twice the price paid. I have kind of picked a fight with them now.

MD said...

Note to self, pick your fights carefully. I now have negative feedback. Horrid and lie filled negative feedback. I am very angry but there's nothing I can do. I've moaned to eBay but they haven't actually broken any rules. B'tard.