Saturday 31 January 2009

Thwarted

New reading plan: book 1 of 43 or so.

FAIL.

Such goodness in not opening the new arrival books. Such enjoyment of the book (Mort). Such despair at the fact that it has Vanished. Off. The. Face. Of. The. Earth.

I checked the usual places: under the bed, down the back of the sofa, left on a table somewhere etc.
No joy.
I checked the unusual places: inside a cupboard, on top of the toilet, inside the washing basket etc.
No joy.

I thought carefully when I last had it. Either 4am when ambitiously thinking I could recognise words while my son was awake and needing cuddled or at about 9am when I was ambitiously thinking I was awake enough to recognise words after very little sleep. Either way, I've put it down in a state of almost asleepness and thus it could theoretically be anywhere. And if it is anywhere, it could have been found by little people, so it could really be anywhere.

I obsessed. I moved everything. I checked the bookcase a thousand times, it might have been put back. I checked the books I sorted out to go away today a hundred times.

I've looked (roughly, it's icky) in the bin. I've had the sofa out, I've searched through every pile of stuff (house is kinda sorted, looks a bit like a bomb landed).

Now I'm at the stage where I have a flash of inspiration and think "ah yes! if I had been on my way to such and such, it would be THERE..." but to no avail. And each time I walk past anything, I check it for a book. I've found so many books. Not it. Not Mort. I was really enjoying it as well, I was ceasing to be at all scared of Death and was getting right into it. But the new one-at-a-time rule decrees that I cannot read another book at the same time. So either I read nothing till Mort comes home, or I start another book and cast Mort aside even should he return. He would have to wait till the next one was finished.

So be it. Mort will be a later book to read. Sigh. And so onward, with Bye Bye Balham, by the very lovely Mr Herring (it was under the bed, which was why I hadn't gone to it already as promised in a previous bloggery. And I started it before, I just got distracted, so it's not a whole book to read. Mort will not have to wait long for Richard to finish, I'm sure. This tangent is getting odd.)

I have found my hedgehog though, I lost it briefly in the mayhem, but he came out on top. Hurrah for Hedgehog the hedgehog.

3 comments:

Stipey Sullivan said...

I've always thought that Hedgehog was a good name for hedgehog. So much better than Sonic.

But then I am a man who read the entire Duncton Wood series of books as a bored teen. But moles are creatures that deserve many books to be written about them. Perhaps there should be more hedgehog based fiction. discuss.

Stipey Sullivan said...

apart from this:

Mikko loved his garden. He knew all the plants and flowers that grew there, and he enjoyed learning about their healing powers. He thought he was perfectly content - until Grandfather Tarek came and told him he was wasting his time. "Take advantage of your youth to accomplish something important, so you will be happy! Look at how others lead their lives!" Tarek tells him. That's just what Mikko does. All the creatures he meets that day are busy and ambitious, working hard to become the fastest, the cleverest or the strongest. Mikko tries to be just like them, though they don't seem to be enjoying life at all. Could Grandfather Tarek be wrong?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Hedgehog-Marcus-Pfister/dp/0735818169

Scumbag Sam said...

You will find it when you least expect it... I will try to use my powers of divination to help you locate it... ommmmmmm..... it looks like its near where you left the phone... in the kitchen??

On a selfishly side note, I have lost the nozzle to my hair dryer, last time it dissapeared it didnt come back for a year... so I need to find it! :(