Saturday 17 January 2009

Waiting

Delayed: 0900

That's what the arrivals board says about the plane I was to meet someone off at 0835. One would assume that means "expected at 0900" but as it is now 0855, it's not looking so likely. Maybe it's leaving East Midlands at 0900? Or at 0900 it will officially be delayed? Or it means nothing, is a rounded up time and they've lost the plane? Most informative.

I needed a drink, so I thought I'd buy a drink from the machine. £1.20, takes 5ps. Not my 5ps, I fed in about 7 before I accepted it didn't want to sell me juice. No worries, WH Smith will sell me one. £1.59. Bargain.

It is now 0900. Arrivals board tells me:

Delayed: 0900

Good. So they're keeping up to date and informative. Super.

No.
Wait.
That's a 9.

Delayed: 0909

If it was landing in 5 minutes, you'd think it would be on approach, no? What's wrong with "estimating 0909"?

I could a) ask or b) look up the flight online, but it's not going to tell me more.

It's nearly 0909. I can hardly contain myself.

Well, at least it doesn't cost £3 every half hour I park. Oh no, wait, it does.

It's not updated 0909. That's got to be good. Or bad. One of those.

I'm going to ask. I may get shot for going to Passenger Information when I'm not a passenger, but it's worth a try.

It's arrived. They're just not telling.

1 comment:

Keir Hardie said...

My baby said she's travelling on the one after 909. Said John Lennon, with his Beatles. It's a conspiracy.

Admittedly he was singing about a train, but he just did that to make it more skiffle. So it's still a conspiracy.