Wednesday 10 December 2008

Humble Pie (and being a suckass)

Oh, I feel bad.

I'm way too cynical to accept authenticity, but a very nice comment just left reminded me that anyone at all can read this. Mostly, they don't, but sometimes they do.

And there's me being entirely mean about Psychologies magazine, which I do actually like. I do. I complain lots because I dutifully do the quizzes and it tells me things I already know, but I like doing the quizzes. There's been more than once that I've read an article that makes me feel like the mad things I'm feeling are entirely normal. I like most of the contributers (especially Oliver James, incidentally) and I, erm, like the magazine. I buy, and keep, every issue and it's wrong to be mean. I like psychology, I buy books based on the ones they feature, it's a worthwhile magazine and is one of the few I feel that is aimed at people like me.

That particular article was less good than normal, it irritated me because it sort of suggested that the reader is unaware of normal issues and needs a crisis to think about ethics and not being greedy and extravagant. But this is not the norm for this magazine, the articles are normally very good, the rest of this issue is of the usual standard, the free journal is excellent and I feel I need to point all this out to the other Psychologies reader who reads this. (Please buy it! I'll buy it for you!)

I am a bad person. I did persuade a lady in Tesco to buy last month's issue, I am partially vindicating myself for this reason.

4 comments:

Stipey Sullivan said...

hey you suckass

http://www.psychologies.co.uk/index.php/eng/Editor-s-Blog/What-s-your-mental-five-a-day

either someone's being very clever or it's the editor! GEt thinking of some possible article topics (you've probably already blogged on em) and get pitching. Has to be done. Do it, do it, do it. Given that the 'editor's blog' is one column written in October, they some active content on their pages to draw in readers.

You could have a future as an independently minded columnist. Ahh, the power of the internet.

Right then, I'm off to slag off... House & Garden magazine. Rubbish. About houses and gardens, what is the point of that?

today's word verification is 'oback'

Stipey Sullivan said...

okay. i take that back. she does update her blog. i should just move on. and shut up.

MD said...

Don't encourage mad people, it can only end in obacking.

Oh yes.

And a more sensible answer: nuh-uh.

Scumbag Sam said...

RETRACTION!
haha. love it.

I burst out laughing when I saw the comment on the other blog post. what are the chances...?!!!

I would like to go on the record and say I, too, love that magazine, in all its shining (only sometimes) craziness!!