Wednesday 7 April 2010

mp3 CD

And this, the first of the catchup. The title I have written is mp3 CD. And so this is what I thought, then.

Wires have been bought and tried, old technologies (iRiver) have been tried and found to conflict with idiocy of driver. So mp3 CDs have been made.

Oh wow.

Wow.

Wow.

Once upon a very long time ago, I was given my first tape recorder. The mix tape became a reality/obsession for me.
Then I discovered CDs, once they were available and stuff.
Music listening was fantabulouso, mostly because random was now a feature of my life.

yes, I do know it's immensely annoying. and yes, some albums have to be played in order. mostly - random. I like the surprise/guess/predict element.

Then. CD burning. On my very own computer.
Mix tape. On CDs. Faint.
I still have my very first compilation CD, cunningly entitled "Compilation 20.07.00". It is remarkably good. It took me an entire evening with a large pile of CDs and painstakingly copying the track that I wanted off each CD.

Then. mp3.

yes, I know the quality isn't the same. I'm not that discerning and I certainly don't listen to music on that sophisticated equipment.

Playlists are a joy. Playlists are easy. Playlists are in fact everything the compilation random taste free music-murderess ever dreamed of.

In these days of children having, I mostly listen to music in the car. And a CD is disturbingly limited.
The new car has an mp3 CD player.

Many, many, many songs on one CD. I have no idea how many, but it's something like 200. The display tells me the song. And it does random. And I can "next" it - my singular most annoying and perpetual habit, or so I have been led to believe - from the steering wheel.

iTunes does it all nicely. Unless of course I want to use any of the songs I have purchased from iTunes because they wouldn't play.

Do Apple do a car music player that's built in? I don't think so. Steve Jobs probably thinks people don't listen to music in the car. Yes, I know Jobs invented iPod; iPod has wires and I have never yet got over my love for CDs, even if I break them by filling them with nasty inferior mp3s. Still, it'd be nice if they did.

My collection of bought-from-iTunes is regrettably ok to be missed off. Things I would never share my love for. It's a nostalgia thing, and when you genuinely only like one song off an album, generally the rest of it isn't all that great.
Whatever. I'm sure other people have recently bought songs by the Christians and Runrig.

Shh.

Anyway.

CD joy, in the car, steering wheel controls, 100s of tracks on one CD = one happy camper.

And if it's raining? cup overfloweth.

No comments: