Thursday 8 April 2010

iPhone 4.0 and other reasons to be in a bad mood.

Yips. iPhone 4.0 announced today.

Main points that I got from this much anticipated reveal:

1) Multitasking - the biggy, the inevitable - won't work on iPhone 3G. That's right. My one. The one I got 9 months ago, albeit as an insurance replacement (and before you ask, home insurance, not rip off phone insurance) and so 9 months into my contract (now complete) and so am not remotely ready to replace. Gah.

2) iAds. Oh goodie. So ads can run within apps, so you don't *have* to click them. Because you *really* want video ads playing on your iPhone screen when you're using an app. The joy.

3) Folders. Real genuine joy now, folders. Not littered icons, folders. Apple decreed folders, but folders.
Must work on 3G or I'll, I'll, I'll... go and buy a 3GS or something. Grrrrrrr.

Don't have money for 3GS, or I'd have one. Huh.

There are 7 new things, supposedly. Yeah. I got 3 and stopped caring, mostly through being in a big huff about the 3G not multitasking thing.

Making a device that doesn't do all it can because of software limitations, so new software can be leaked later as a reward for being loyal (duped) customers, is just evil/genius.

Apple, I hate you. Hate hate hate.

But you do make very nice things. Damn you.

More reasons to hate Apple:

Aforementioned iPhone 3G has been iffily iffy for a while. So I did a restore to factory settings.

5 hours. 5 hours!!! 5 hours it took to backup, format (or whatever it does) and restore settings as before. Why? Is it JUST because I'm running iTunes on a windows PC? Is it really? And why does iTunes decide which settings I want and which applications to restore? Shouldn't that be up to me? How many times do I have to tell it that I don't have Outlook, and shouldn't telling it NOT to sync contacts be enough to stop it trying to fecking install Outlook?

(no, and no)

iTunes/App store. Leaves you logged in. So if you accidentally tap a "buy" icon in a shit app, you immediately upgrade!!! Hurrah! £1.79 on a shit app! The joys of iTunes are unending.

I don't want/need/have any use for an iPad.

But. I do really want one.

Why? Because I use my phone incessantly and would like a nice big version. Because it's shiny. Because I am a fool.

What I really need is a MacBook. Or an iMac. Yes. I want both of those too.

See? Hate. Subliminal messages telling me I need an iPad. My sons refer to Comet (nearest Apple merchant) as "Mummy's computer shop". They try to sell me stuff, I tell them they don't have to, I don't have any money, I just like looking. And touching a bit.

I am at the end of my contract. I could be free. Nope. iPhone Simplicity, here I am!! Until I eke some money from somewhere and gets me a new iSomething.

Save me Nokia, please?



Typed on iPhone.
Researched on iPhone.
Admittedly not exactly researched but the knowledge vaguely imparted above was gained via iPhone.
iLovemiPhone.















4 comments:

Keir Hardie said...

If it's any consolation it's not proper multitasking.

MD said...

No, but it does allow apps to run what Apple considers to be important functions in the background. So you can properly get notifications, and things like spotify would work properly.

Which is as much multitasking as you'd need. Really. As you can only actually use one thing at a time, background things must by nature be backgroundy.

I am so indoctrinated by Applespeak. I think they should give me free stuff as recompense.

Keir Hardie said...

I do concede, some of the non-multitasking developments are good, like music or VoIP at the same time as doing something else. What about downloading? Someone was getting very annoyed with their iPad lately, that when they were downloading an app over the dodgy wifi they just had to sit there staring at the download bar, that would be another good thing to be able to do in the background.

My PDA would play music in the background while I'm browsing in theory. But it's so weedy that it would struggle.

MD said...

It does download in the background, it also plays music in the background. What's new is the ability - not for iPhone 3G users tho - is for 3rd party apps to do this too.

I wish I could shut up.