Saturday 6 March 2010

Life begins at 40

As I approached 30 I felt very old. My youth was gone! Sob! All these things I hadn't done!

On the day of my 30th birthday it occurred to me that I was only 30. How marvellous. I then promptly became a mother and so there was no question of being young any more.

Later there was the endurance of 33. A terrible age, not young, not old, not early or mid thirties. A horrible age to be. But I survived, 34 passed and now at 35 I feel totally content about my age. I accept that I'm officially an adult, that there's a whole generation younger than me that see me as an old person. I don't mind. I don't hope to get ID'd any more. I like being young enough and old enough at the same time.

And I eagerly await 40. 40's going to be great! By 40 I'll have my transportation career underway. By 40 I'll have 9 year olds that are relatively independent but still my little boys. At 40 I'm going to get a digital SLR and spend time taking good photos. By 40 I'll have a car I don't resent. By 40 we'll be in a house not a flat.

Yup. 40's going to be a tough birthday, when none of the above apply. But for now, it's a pleasant thought...

No comments: