Sunday 21 March 2010

Misogyny

I try to like women, I do. I am one, I should at least find things in common with them. Most of my friends are women, men have that whole thing going on that can potentially complicate matters whether its actually a thing or not. But still, women always seem a bit rubbish. There are very few truly great women. Admirable women, yes, but there's always an undertone of "...for a woman" with anything they/we achieve.

Great men? Many.

Two such greatnesses have awed me today. The first, one Charlie Brooker, who wrote a piece of such magnificence that I feel slightly inclined to give up writing even a blog because I will never, ever achieve what he can with words. Damn him.

Read it here. Agree hugely and feel inferior.

The second is Professor Brian Cox, presenting at the moment as he is, "Wonders of the Solar System" . I have issues with Physics, it is generally my least favourite science (which admittedly puts it highly above most non-science, but still...) and I tend to struggle a bit with some of the concepts. Mostly: why would we care about THAT? But watching him enthuse about Physics and the solar system renders me awestruck, totally caught up with his enthusiasm, and simultaneously understanding and caring about all he talks about. But of course it is important, how could we care about anything more than the very structure and laws that make us exist? How can this man turn around all my thoughts on a subject and make me genuinely interested in a branch of science that left me cold before? Simple. He is so contagiously passionate about it all, he literally jumps up and down with excitement, and he makes me care. He makes me understand. He makes me fascinated.

Most people I admire I would fall over myself to meet in some manner. These two gentlemen, I would run in the opposite direction from due to sheer intimidation. Sigh.

No comments: