Monday 22 March 2010

Natural Philosophy

I continue to be blown away by Professor Brian Cox and Wonders of the Solar System, expanding on yesterdays bletherings. Which, naturally, is being watched all at the wrong times.


So, physics? Amazing. Great. Explains everything. The most interesting science...

Or so I have been told, by those who I most admire (in real life) who care about science, namely big bro, hubby and my most favourite teacher, who taught me Biology but who confessed that his first love was for physics. I did not agree. Physics bored me. Intensely. Who cares where the ball lands? Science, yes, great. Maths, quite wonderful, endless interest in patterns and fractals and fractions and percentages and things that add up to everyday life. Further interest in algebra, geometry, calculus and things that have no bearing on much other than maths. But still, fun. Yes, really, fun. Biology? It's how we work! Chemistry: sort of like cooking, follow the recipe, get the result. Makes sense, useful to understand: Medicine. Oh yeah! Now we're talking! Blood and guts and disease and ick. Hurrah! Something to ponder to degree level!

Physics. Nope. Mental block. Where maths and physics overlap, maths and I part ways. Tedium. The fact that I am for the second time in my life studying Engineering is accidental, the physics element has been broken down to pure maths and so has overcome the mental blockage in my head.

It has been pointed out to me (on numerous occasions) that the following are all entirely to do with physics:

1) Weather
2) Astronomy
3) Engineering
4) Cars. Pretty much everything to do with cars, except the small bit that's chemistry.
5) Everything

But still, I resist, and respond with the following:

1) Weather is chaotic. La la la la la.
2) Who cares about astronomy? So, the stars and moon and what not are quite cool, and meteor showers are immense, and the solar eclipse is one of the most gobsmacking things I have ever witnessed, and comets are pretty exciting and I'd give my left arm to see the Northern Lights. I'm so not interested. Huh.
3) Maths. Maths. Maths. Engineering can all be geometry if you try hard enough.
4) I can appreciate aesthetics without understanding. No, I can. Even if that goes against everything I believe in.
5) Everything I know to be true is in fact not true if you entertain the concepts of quantum physics.

Quantum physics aside, because that is one big headmess (I get as far as the theory of relativity, which is simple enough, and then I cease to understand a thing Einstein and chums were on about: if a cat's there then it's there, or it's not, huh?)*, there is a small fact that should have smacked me in the face a very long time ago:

Pretty much everything I wonder about can be answered by physics. Some can be attributed to maths or other branches of science, but it has been said oft to me that all science is basically physics.

Which I have argued thus: I understand other sciences.

But now, wonder of wonders, Professor Brian Cox has come along and effectively smashed through my mental block. He and his wonderful programme have made all the comments made to me over the years make sense. Wonders of the Solar System is eliminating my ignorance and soothing the physics hatred I have carried for years. I get it! It's amazing! The Laws of Physics DO explain everything!

I have so much catching up to do...

*I do get Schrodinger's cat thing. I just don't like the implications on what I know to be true, so I don't like understanding it; it's easier to dismiss it as not making sense. I quite like existing when I'm not there, I'm still here. la la la la la.

1 comment:

Keir Hardie said...

Thanks for the tip - started watching it. Good stuff.