Wednesday 13 January 2010

Mario part 876

More Mario... I am a geekette.

For Christmas this year I (definitely me) received Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside story for DS and New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Both excellent. Both gratefully received.

Both forking IMPOSSIBLE!!!

I have been playing Mario since he was only on the NES. 1992 is when we were first acquainted. I cannot do either of these games. I am stuck as a stuck thing not very far into the DS game. And as for the Wii game. Well! The only reason I am not still trying to defeat Roy Koopa (is he new? Looks a lot like Bowser, has purple specs and throws purple flames) is that my 4 year old defeated him for me.

Grrrr.

Yes, I have downloaded walkthroughs, they expect a level of skill that eludes me. So for the Wii version, I'll just have to wait till the wee guy gets past Roy at the end of World 2... For the DS I am going to have to CHEAT (or hand it over to my other 4 year old and weep into my Horlicks.

Reviews: I think the DS game looks nice. My progress is so woeful you could get as much info from the box as from me.








Wii game: I LIKE the old school platform style, I find this infinitely more playable than Mario Galaxy. Mario Galaxy is now delightfully possible and I am enjoying it and ogling Mario Galaxy 2.

Back to New Super Mario Bros Wii, multiplayer co-op is nice (if frustrating when playing with someone who doesn't get co-op). Not that new: I distinctly remember playing multiplayer (probably turn by turn) on one of the SNES versions. It is good though, if there are two of you Game Over only happens if you both lose your last life at the same time, as long as one of you has one life or more, you continue and stay where you are.





Pretty, int it? Most favourite picture in our house that is.

Main gripe: lack of save options. There are mysterious stars that may do something save-ish. I shall ask the walkthrough.

I think I'm going to build some Lego. If I can fathom out what the instructions mean.

2 comments:

Keir Hardie said...

Roy's not new, apparently

http://www.mariowiki.com/Roy_Koopa

As for difficulty, I have read that New Super Mario Bros. Wii gets quite helpful after a while if you're rubbish at it.

MD said...

Oh wow! Geek heaven! Thanks!
Yeah, if you fail a level 8 times (ug, only usually possible in two player) you get a fecking annoying ding dong of a box that has Luigi doing the level a bit craply, but he stays alive and beats the baddy. Not all that helpful, more patronising and he doesn't do any hidden bits or coins so it literally shows you how to get to the end. And if you ignore him, it ding dongs away. Grr.