Thursday 14 January 2010

The plight of the unread

Due to the unfortunate ongoing combination of being unable to resist acquiring books and being unable to get on with reading, I have 4 books that I have had out of the library for some time. They have been renewed 6 times and I have read a bit of each. Fail.

In order to renew the books, I log into my account and click "renew all". Done. Except that proved too hard this month and by the time the memory kicked in, a fine of £1.52 had accumulated. 38p per book, which doesn't divide into any sensible division, but who am I to argue?

So duty called and offs I trotted to the library to pay up.

Oh yay! They have a fines amnesty because of the difficulty people have had getting to the library through snow. I pointed out that actually the snow didn't affect my getting to the computer and so I should really still pay. This was rewarded with a look of pity normally reserved for the mentally impaired and a reassurance that they simply weren't charging fines. And tada. All cleared.

A warm and fuzzy feeling from doing the right thing and being rewarded by saving money.

Huzzah!



No comments: