Sunday 31 January 2010

The flaws of the iPhone

In light of much iPhone adoration, following the arrival (almost) of the iPad, I feel it only just to point out that failings of my beloved.

The lack of the ability to run things in the background is ridiculous. You can't, for example, be logged into Google Talk and get notified if someone wants to talk. No, you have to sit with just Google Talk open. You can play music in the background, but then everything is s-l-o-w.

It is very slick and lovely to look at, but only having one button puts an awful lot of strain on that one button.

It doesn't have a homepage despite the fact that it claims to. It has a display of apps. It doesn't have a customisable page with links to apps. You can't put your own background on. You can't have diary reminders or widgets on your homepage, because it's not a homepage. You can rearrange the icons for your apps. Woop.

It doesn't have a removable battery. Which means it doesn't have a replaceable battery.

It is very expensive and all the accessories are very expensive. In true Apple style, accessories for one model tend not to work on the next model. There is no good reason for this other than the fact that this makes Apple money.

The camera. Why so rubbish? Oh that's right, Steve Jobs reckoned people wouldn't want a camera. Right then. No secondary forward facing camera, no zoom, no flash, piddly MP, no features at all.

I have to complain about the fact that MMS and cut & paste were only there after OS 3 came out. Why????

There's the needing iTunes and iTunes not liking Windows thing, but I already complained about that.

Minor quibble: the autocorrect is infuriating. Reading for reading, and correcting all its to it's is ANNOYING. I have however finally worked out how to do caps lock. It's not that difficult: double click shift. Duh.

I have to stop now. I feel disloyal.

These failings make the iPad, which has the same - and indeed more - failings, a big disappointment. But I already said that. Many times.

The iPhone is stunning and quite wonderful to use. I have used it as my computer for almost a year and I have survived happily. But it has its faults and I can admit them.

Sob!! Back to iLove.


No comments: