Thursday 28 January 2010

Apple iPad - a nobody's opinion

Jumping on the bandwagon here as everyone* else is blogging the same thing, but Apple sent me the blurb about their new tablet this morning and so it's on my mind.

* not actually everyone. Some people.

The iPhone is quite probably the greatest thing I have ever owned. I love almost everything about it. There are two big things I don't love:

1) it relies heavily on iTunes, you have to have a computer alongside it.

2) iTunes isn't exactly happy on a PC. I know it would work bette on a Mac. I suspect that's not an accident.

So the new iPad. It does (almost) everything the iPhone/iPod Touch does. But it's big.









It still needs a computer and iTunes, so it doesn't replace the computer. I had a moment of joy when I mistakenly thought it was a proper computer and I could ditch the iTunes/Windows discord for a possible price. No. It does what the iPhone does. Except it doesn't make calls. The 3G option is data only, it's not a phone. So it's not quite as good as an iPhone. It's just big.

You can watch TV and videos and so on on the lovely screen. Much like a television then. Or a computer. Woop. It has HD, which of course is unheard of in a television.

Ok. I admit, I do get the attraction. Especially if you don't currently own an iPhone. The ability to connect anywhere is great. But why is is just a big iPhone? Why isn't it a proper tablet computer? Why doesn't it stand alone and do things a computer does rather than being another companion to your Mac? Yes, Mac, Windows users, like me, don't get full functionality. It does, mostly work, but sometimes it just has a moment and you know it's all down to its disgust at being operated through a PC.

It's something extra, another thing to add to your gadgets. The main benefit being the big screen, but I'd be inclined to go for the pocket sized iPhone and for the vast number of times you want to watch something away from a television, a small screen probably does. If there's a television then a line out cable's a lot cheaper. Or if you want a laptop then a laptop's probably a good bet if you can overcome the hideousness of a real keyboard and actually being a computer.

So. Apple iPad. Like the iPhone but big. Anyone who doesn't already own an iPhone isn't going to spend money on a big iPhone. This is for Mac lovers with more money than sense. To complete your Mac collection. Yes, I would. I have even less money than sense sadly.

Overuse of the word "big" in this blog was necessary. It's the point. If you want some actual detail just sit there and it will infiltrate your consciousness, it's everywhere. Bandwagon and all...

1 comment:

Keir Hardie said...

Even if there was less wrong with it, I don't think a tablet would appeal to most people - if you want something that big, might as well get a laptop or a netbook with a keyboard. And if you don't want a keyboard, an iPhone is pretty similar but it goes in your pocket. If I thought of the ten things I like least about the iPhone 'needs to be much bigger' wouldn't be in the top ten, and as that's the main difference if an alien was looking at an iPad thinking it was pretty cool even I, an Apple cynic, would be showing it an iPhone and saying 'isn't that cooler'? Unless it was a sort of giant alien for which the iPad was a similar proportional size to what the iPhone is for us. Then, fair enough, I'd leave it to it.