Wednesday 13 August 2008

Sobriety

Gah. Gah. Why is drinking so necessary?

Me, I hardly drink. I do on occasion get so spectacularly drunk that I make an amazing impression and so each and every person that I know has a relatively recent image of me in a state of total inebriation and humiliation. I am awful, quite dreadful, when I am drunk, and it is at least in part due to this that, as I say, I hardly drink. The last drink I had, I forget for a start, I think it was at the beginning of June. No reason, I just haven't had a drink since then. I've not felt the urge to. I do get accused of being drunk any time I'm in a lively mood or being particularly cheerful, which is either a nod to my natural exuberance, or an indication of my normal levels of grouchiness.

There's the whole transport issue as well. Living in a place such as Kirkcaldy, nights out often take place in a far distant place and so travel homewards is an issue. Driving to the place in question easily solves this for yourself and up to 4 other people. Drinking and driving is not an option, obviously, so it's fine to be the driver in this situation, although people often sympathise with you, you poor sod not able to get off your tits, here, have a Coke on me. But if you choose to not drink just because you want to save money or simply don't feel like a drink, then is that not possibly a sensible thing to do? I hate the assumption that I must be ill or pregnant if I choose not to drink at a social occasion. I don't *need* alcohol, as the self designated driver I have had many enjoyable nights completely sober, and I most definitely do not need to justify my decision. I don't have to explain why I'm not smoking, why do I have to have a reason to be sober?

Drink is responsible for all manner of incidents that simply would not have happened to sober people. Wine is lovely, but it's a lot of trouble. Don't make me feel like a freak because I'm not doing something I'm not very good at.

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THE NEED TO DRINK BECAUSE I'M SCOTTISH!!!

No comments: