Tuesday 16 September 2008

Expectation

Often, the postie has to ring the buzzer to get into the building. Each and every time he does this, approximately 4 or 5 times a week, I stand behind the front door with an excited air of expectation. Maybe there will be a parcel! And it could be something marvellous, a competition win or similar. Or, as I am signed up to numerous survey companies, I could have received something to try. "Dear Mrs D, Russell and Bromley need testers for their winter boot range, please try this pair of boots for a month and we will send another pair next month".

Or a huge birthday gift that has been lost in the post for 8 months. An early Christmas present (Wii Fit) from Amazon for being such a good customer over the last few years? Maybe a random gift from a (rich) admirer. That would be rather nice, as long as it wasn't too random, a Wii Fit perhaps. Or a Wii Fit from any other source, I'm not that fussed who.

Failing that, there is always the possibility of something arriving by letter. A nice tax rebate from the Inland Revenue, sorry, HMRC. Or a job offer from Waterstones offering me £24k a year to work a few hours a week reading to children - having based their decision entirely on an email asking if they had any vacancies. Or maybe a relative I didn't know I had could have passed away and left me a huge inheritance. Maybe someone has put in a huge offer for this flat, they wouldn't need to view it as it is so perfect for them.

This morning I received a flyer from John Lewis and a bank statement.

No comments: