Friday 12 September 2008

La Maestra

Well, two days late and I managed to watch the final of Maestro. I really enjoyed this, I thought it was a marvellous final. With the exception of the rather tedious Beethoven's 5th, I thoroughly enjoyed the music chosen. I do think the music throughout (except for the arias) was well chosen to be recognisable as well as easily likeable. Jane Asher chose the overture from Mozart's Marriage of Figaro, which I was very pleased at given that I knew this was Mozart and that I liked it, but I didn't know which piece it was.

Sue Perkins absolutely deserved to win. Had I been of the inclination to vote on such programmes and had I watched it live, I would have voted for her. She conducted using her hands, arms, upper body, body placement, head movements and facial expressions. She connected well with all of the orchestra and remained aware of their every move. Goldie, while being as his mentor said, a phenomenal human being, did not connect with the orchestra. Indeed, I felt as if he was performing something he had learned and his actions would have been identical had the orchestra not been there at all. I can't fathom why the judges awarded him so many points. The sound the orchestra produced was fine, but the sound produced when Sue conducted was far better. It was extremely tiring to sit through two performances of the Beethoven, but it was very interesting to hear the difference in sound between the two.

Maxim Vengerov's performance was sublime; he also used his face, head and body in the same manner as Sue and I found his conducting to be far superior to Sir Roger Norrington's for that very reason. One of the reasons this programme was so interesting is that I knew nothing about the role of a conductor, and clearly my knowledge is still lacking in that I cannot discern the difference between great and good.

All of the people in this programme were thoroughly likeable to the end. With the exception of Zoe Martlew I'm afraid, even tonight when she was being complimentary she was smug and "look at me, I'm giving you an 8, just because I'm lovely", which was annoying. I think all the celebrities came across well - I adored the silliness of the tag-conducting. My final opinion of Katie Derham is that I think I'd like her to be my sister in law. I'd like either Ivor the Mentor or Peter Snow to be my dad, I'd like Sue to be my best friend and I'd like a bigamous marriage to both Goldie and Alex James.

And on that frivolous note, I shall bid farewell to a programme that surprised me pleasantly.

(I know there's a performance on Saturday, but I doubt I'll watch that, I can't cope with Lesley Garrett)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think ive bored everyone about my views on this show already.

I also reviewed the first episode on WWM. So I dont have much to add.

I dont mind sue. But I think shes seriously in danger of over-exposure. And I fucking hate clive anderson, the little punning fuckwit.