Wednesday 24 September 2008

Lost in Austen, final part

Well, I've been left feeling warm and fuzzy, and completely in love with Darcy. This was nice, it made me smile. It didn't try to be clever or groundbreaking, it was just enjoyable tv.

I liked that they left everyone happy, I liked that Jane and Bingley could be together, I liked that Elizabeth was happy in the 21st century. I liked that Wickham was a good guy after all (I always suspected I'd have fallen for him and it's a relief to discover he's not a total cad).

Favourite moment, when Mrs Bennett stood up to Lady Catherine, prompting the ailing Mr Bennett to sit up and exclaim "Tally ho, Wife!"

I'm still not convinced by Jemima Rooper as the main character, I rather wish they'd cast her as Elizabeth and Gemma Arterton as Amanda. I'm not sure how satisfied I am with the "everyone's happy now" ending. That may be to provide an opening for series two; how would she adapt to life in Austen and could she pop back to her own time to clean her teeth?

Each episode of this was an improvement on the last and I am left feeling good by it.

No comments: