Friday 5 September 2008

Lost in Austen

I watched this a day late, saying as how I was actually out and come out in hives if I have to sit through an ad break anyway. I was looking forward to this, the Radio Times promised great things and opinions seemed to be positive.

Well.

I cannot stand the heroine, played by Jemima Rooper. She acts perfectly well, she's just playing a thoroughly dislikeable character. Nothing she did was the action of a realistic person and this spoilt the whole thing for me. Alex Kingston, who does manage to annoy me a lot in most things she does, annoyed me. Hugh Bonneville was his usual affable self, and the rest of the cast were mostly aesthetic.

This was touted as being "different". Yes, Bridget Jones meets Pride and Prejudice. Marvellous, both totally underused.

Aside about the fact that Bridget Jones (the book and the character) is meant to be a parody by an intelligent author, yet became a role model for people and an entire genre of book, demonstrating just how thick the two planks that the general public are akin to are.

Back to Lost in Austen, I will watch episode two, based on the premise that the second episode is nearly always an improvement on the scene setting of episode one. I may have to throw eggs at the tv though and I still won't watch it "live".

No comments: