Tuesday 18 November 2008

Friends

I blame Friends.
For everything.
I want to live in that world, I think I'd like to be Monica. Rachel has to end up with Ross, which is a fate worse than cheese, and Phoebe's too ditzy.

Anyway, having loved Friends obsessively for 8 years or so (took a while to catch on), life has been a crashing disappointment that it didn't turn out like that. See, they were older than me, and they were on when I was a student and had that sort of life, I even had a friend like Rachel, a friend like Monica and a friend like Phoebe (and people who were nothing like any of them, I think I was probably Janice), and we hung out for coffee and shared every waking thought together. Marvellous.

In Friends however, they were past being students. They were adults. They still lived in each others pockets and were there for each other. Sex and the City is the same thing I believe. Girls together having endless fun and being there for each other.

But in real life, people have children, jobs, commitments and time constraints, and no matter what the best intention is or how much you love someone to bits, there simply isn't space to have interwoven lives like you had when you were younger. You seem to float through and you have the same circle of friends that you always have, feeling mutually neglected, meeting up and promising not to leave it so long, and returning to email and facebook again.

Not all bad, I can post "Morag wants a hug" on facebook and almost instanteously have 15 lovely virtual hugs from friends all over the world, or as I did the other week in a less needy manner, put "Morag is turning vegetarian" and get debates and comments on the pros and cons of marinated tofu - just like that. But it's not the same really. It's all about the nice stuff, and beyond demanding hugs, you don't "talk".

"How are you?" automatically produces the response "fine", or "same as ever" even if the trueanswer is "I have spent the last week in tears, I think I'm having a nervous breakdown". Because everyone else is being shiny and happy and only presenting the happy stuff, you don't like to upset the apple cart by being miserable. Especially if the reason you're miserable is something pathetic and sounds really silly if you put it in words. So you keep it to yourself and go bonkers. Then somewhere down the line you drink way too much wine and confess that actually you're not all that fine, discover that your best friend has also been crying herself to sleep, that you are both appalled that you didn't know, that you couldn't help, that you really really really REALLY love each other and in future you will pick up the phone immediately as soon as there's something wrong. And you don't feel miserable any more because you talked about it and laughed about how silly you were being. Except you sober up, decide not to bother people and when they ask how you're doing, you say "fine"...

New friends come along, mostly when you're lonely in the same place at the same time; some of them become lifelong friends, most of them drift off again when the circumstances change, or when you lump all your annoyances at your other friends onto the new friend and they run away. I remember my hippy thought that it's nice to appreciate being even an insignificant part of someone's life for a while instead of bemoaning all the things they don't turn out to be. I forget that too often.

People are stupid. I do love all my friends and I'm pretty sure very few of them know that as I stagnate and mentally chastise them for ignoring me back. We all sit about feeling lonely, with the undialled phone by our side.

I just did a quiz in Psychologies magazine as to what I need from friendship. Apparently I need reassurance, which was hardly revelatory. Apparently it's not cool to ask for it though. Bugger.

5 comments:

Stipey Sullivan said...

which is a fate worse than cheese

here is some reassurance:

that is probably genius.

or mad.

it's your choice. I'll have bit of smelly stilton please. Do you have any water biscuits?

If my life was a cheese it would be Kraft, but a soft cheese that has been left out of the fridge on a sunny day and has started to smell and attract flies... And people call me miserable - in France that would be a delicacy, that's all I'm saying. My cheese life is simultaneously magnificantly mundane but possibly I might one day discover penecillian if I leave my cheese out long enough.

And...... I lost the thread about 40 words in, but carried on regardless. I just can't stop typing ............zzzzzzzzzz

The Clemency File said...

"If I never met you, I wouldn't like you. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't love you. If I didn't love you, I wouldn't miss you. But I did, I do, and I will."

Neil Gaiman

MD said...

I feel warm and fuzzy now.

:-)

Scumbag Sam said...

I WISH MY LIFE WAS LIKE FRIENDS! I try to make it like that as much as I can... and it kind of is, if you count the fact that I don't go a day without quoting something from friends... even did one day at work where me and a couple of colleagues named 50 guest stars without the use of google. it was fun. But you are right, its so hard to keep everyone that close when we are each spinning off into our own orbits, around stupid things like work, gym, housework etc.. grrrr. Friends often take a back seat - and I am such a flake that when I do get an excuse to go out, I bail because I am too tired from all the other crap! :(
Its now my priority to try to get all of my friends to the pub as often as possible. but I have different groups, so its hard to blend them all together. Ok, gonna cut this short. I don't need to blog in your comment box! :P

If I was a cheese, I would be Port Salut.

Always air your dirty laundry/ problems, here on your blog... it will make you feel better, I am sure.

In fact, it makes me feel better, I was sat in a meeting today at work, and thought to myself. I can't wait to get onto my blog tonight, sad as it may be......... lol

MD said...

I miss Friends. I loved Friends. I miss caring that much about not missing something. I want a movie, damn that Aniston's success.

My dirty laundry would clog up the smooth launderette that is blogger. Best aired by the sea.

If I was a cheese I'd be gorgonzola: matured, pungent and strangely moreish.