Thursday 27 November 2008

Things you probably wouldn't want to do #825,321.75

People that like to have a rant: the Scots
Subject they like to rant about: the Union, whatever their stance on it

So would anyone in their right mind have an open comments site for Scots (or indeed anyone else that cared, ie noone) to comment on a proposed referendum for independence?

Yup.

The National Conversation.

We are only 3 months behind here, which is quite good as yesterday we were in 2006.

I've read something like 6 comments and I'm itching to say something. Itching. Itching. I shall refrain, because "oh my god get me away from these cretins, I quite like England and I LOVE Wales" probably wouldn't be all that helpful. I don't believe that's representative of what I actually think about independence anyway. I want to be (properly) part of Europe. Or we could form an alliance with Norway and Switzerland and go completely in the other direction. Hmm. I don't know what I think. I need someone to understand politics for me and explain it s-l-o-w-l-y. Or I might become a politician.

Scarily, this looks like they want the people of Scotland to think up their own constitution. 24 hour compulsory drinking, free fags and regular stoning of the English does not a constitution make.

Fla fla fla. Roads and stuff.

2 comments:

Stipey Sullivan said...

"2. Paul Smith - London

Thursday, August 14, 2008 14:13

Its all well and good having a referendum bill for those living and working in Scotland but what about the 795,000 Scots that live in England and Wales? Don't we get a say?"

No. You don't.

Why are you 3 months behind? I don't get it? my worry is - without scotland, Ingerland gets perpetual tory government. that's not fair. we need you for that if nothing else.

MD said...

"Here" being literally here, this here blog. 'Twas all announced and started in August and I just found out about it, 3 months on.

As to the Scots living in England and Wales, probably everyone in the UK should get to vote, it affects everyone. But that isn't going to happen, because we're outnumbered.

I think yours is a common view, not necessarily the Tory thing, but that the English are keen to keep the Union and the Scots less so. We were pretty keen to have our own parliament and we're pretty dischuffed with the current UK government, banking and oil revenue being the biggest bugbears, so I think if we had a referendum right now, we'd all troop out and vote yes. But in 2010, there will have been an election for Westminster and the viewpoint may have shifted. Should the Tories get in at that election, then I think the UK ceases. I'm not sure how independence would pan out, the anti English thing isn't real, but I fear that it could become real if we were seperate. There's a lot of bitterness.

You could always emigrate north, we would probably only have stoning some days.