Sunday 19 October 2008

Ring-a-ling, hear them sing

I've been tasked with finding a Christmas night for my book club. Mostly because I'm Little Miss Christmas and enforce yuletide jollity on all (and retrospectively get appreciated, I may add), but also because I'm a sad git and I really miss work nights out. My selective memory is forgetting that good work nights out were never the Christmas ones (except maybe spontaneous unofficial ones), but that is Beside The Point.

Problems so far:

1) We're in Kirkcaldy. This is not party central of the world.
2) Huge mix of ages. I'm the youngest (as usual; I wonder when I will ever reach an age when this isn't the case?), then there's most ages up to 70/80(??), including my mother at 68. Different tastes, different willingness to travel afar/be adventurous/spend money.
3) My mother. To many this would mean "oh no, I don't want my mother to see what I get up to when I'm drunk", to me this means the exact opposite.

So, ideas being pondered include the pantomime (over my dead body), a Santa's party (over my unconscious and mutilated body), dinner at the local hotels or at someone's house, or going to the Edinburgh Christmas market (my spiritual home), having dinner somewhere nice and doing something Christmassy that's on in Edinburgh.

Didn't get anywhere with this, but on a search for Something Christmassy that's on in Edinburgh, I found that the Scottish Ballet are performing Sleeping Beauty in Glasgow. Which wasn't all that helpful at all, but I noted with interest that they're going to Edinburgh in January. Well, hopefully, I notice their sponsor, which means they may be performing in the street in last year's costumes.

January, January, January. I love things that are on in January. I have an unfortunate birthday tucked in just after Christmas/New Year/kids' birthday time, which depresses me a little more each year, not because of the passing years (still always the youngest) but because of its insignificance - which I don't personally agree with, I find it quite significant. But ho! Sleeping Beauty is on! I can organise a trip to see that, and slip in a wee birthdayness and have a Grand Night Out. A man free night out, and autoexcluding the less pretentious of my comrades, but still. We can have tapas and wine! And more wine! I remember how much I like wine!



Christmas: it's all about me really. And my birthday. La la la la la la la la la la*


*that's the la la la's from "I am a Rock", which may or may not actually be lai lai lai's.

No comments: