Tuesday 7 October 2008

Vileness, thy will be banished

Sometimes when I'm sat on the sofa, I get all comfy and end up staring at some guff on the TV just because it's easier than moving. Tonight this brought me "Alesha - Look But Don't Touch", the premise of which was that young girls have a flawed body image because of retouching. So, the not-very-ugly Alesha Dixon went off to find a magazine that was prepared to put an untouched picture of her on the cover.

She was apparently in Mis-Teeq and on Strictly Come Dancing so that explains why I didn't know who she is.

She looked at the whole business of airbrushing, watched a highly unethical operation where an 18 year old anorexic got a boob job (too young, too thin: may I suggest you eat some pies my dear? Then you shall grow breasts when you grow up) and talked to some grunt about getting some airbrushed photos done which would apparently increase her confidence for her wedding - presumably she was going to superimpose the airbrushed picture over her regular mooselike face?

Look at me, I'm saying airbrushing. Retouching, my mistake. How very 1980s of me.

Anyway, the conclusion was that girls look much better natural, if you look like Alesha Dixon.
I don't personally see how having a girl who is that pretty, that thin, carefully lit and fully made up is all that different from one who is actually retouched. You could argue that it is unnatural to use models or make up.

But...

I don't want to look at ugly people. I like looking at beautiful people, I don't want some munter putting me off my breakfast. I don't believe that people are flawless or that if I use Dior I will suddenly cease to have under eye shadows. It's just aesthetics. I expect chefs to make delicious food, I don't go home and sob for my inability to cook as well as Nick Nairn any more than I'm going to lose sleep over not being as pretty as Alesha.

Really the point should be about exterminating people who are stupid enough to believe they can look like a retouched supermodel. Or just exterminating stupid people for a laugh.

No comments: