Wednesday 22 October 2008

Watching and not buying

I'm still watching the Wire, so I've not watched much else this week; watching TV for more than an hour is unlikely in any day. It's really good, I'm torn between being annoyed that I completely missed it, and happy that I've got it all to watch. I'm a bit intrigued as to where they go with it for 5 series but am determined to just watch and not find out. I did look at the website to find out who everyone was, because they didn't use names much. They have now (by episode 8, watched last night) fleshed out more of the characters and I'm getting the hang of who's who outwith the main characters.

I've still to watch Buzzcocks and Merlin from last week and there's about 100 things to catch up on the PVR, but never mind. New old stuff abounds.

Spooks series 7 not only starts on Monday 27th, but episode 2 is on Tuesday 28th (then going to a regular time of 9pm Mondays for the rest of the series). Marvellous. New Radio Times confirms that it is actually on in Scotland on the right days, but it does give away a rather large spoiler by crediting Jo in the cast list. Unless there's a flashback, but still. Richard Armitage is looking splendidly brooding in shots of the introductory scenes of Lucas North in Moscow but I'm still not happy at the impending demise of Adam. I-player will apparently reshow each episode for the duration of the series, which is good in case of memory/hardware failure.

Yes, spoilers. If the Radio Times can do it, I can do it.

Oh, I won £1,000,000 this morning. Virtual money, sadly, but it was still nice. Virtual purchases required, not sure where to buy the virtual house or which virtual car to have.

Phones. Phones. Phones. I've gone off the i-phone (fickle as a fickler) based on the fact that it has a 2 mega pixel camera, that it doesn't do bluetooth properly, that is can't send photomessages and the fact that Steve Jobs is a tool. As far as I can tell the i-phone is primarily an ipod, and I have little use for an ipod just now given that I'm usually in the house and can use the hifi or tv to listen/watch as required.

The situation as it stands is thus:

I hate my current phone, a Samsung G600. It has a 5MP camera, which is rubbish. This is the thing I probably use my phone for most. I hate having mediocre pictures, capturing the moment is all very well but it would be nice if the capture actually looked like the moment. The other thing I do a lot with my phone is text, and it's rubbish at that as well. I previously had a Samsung D600 which was really good, until it just died one day and it didn't have the same text nonsense. I can't add most symbols, I can't figure it out for the life of me, it keeps losing words from the custom dictionary - I have added "Morag" and "xxx" a million times, saying as how I obviously use those a fair bit. Oh and it's WAY too quiet, I virtually never hear when I get a text message, so it has to live in my pocket and is all scratched as a result.

I liked my previous phone, a Nokia N73, I only changed that to get shot of 3, cretins that they are. I like Nokia, I liked the OS and the active desktop, I liked the 3.2MP camera, I liked the way it was to use and text on. I didn't like what it looked like, but I could live with that.

My Palm has been written off, due to complete ineptitude by PC World, and I have a refund. So I'm looking to replace a PDA as well. I used that for wifi/email/quick lookup of Yell etc, and as an organiser for addresses and appointments, as well as storage for photos and as an MP3 player on the rare occasion I needed one. So, a phone has to be good at all that, and no, phones usually aren't good address holders. The i-phone is a really good PDA, does have wifi and so goes back up with a chance.

The Nokia N95 pretty much meets the bill, being a Nokia as well is a huge plus. But there's new phones out that have 8MP cameras and that is a huge huge factor. I've got the money back for my Palm and I'm slightly reluctant to losethe money in the shopping fund (although I should) because I Never Get Stuff and I would dearly love to just be flippantly extravagant for the sake of it.

Contenders are therefore:

Apple i-phone 3G

Nokia N95 8Gb, the current forerunner but BORING
LG KC910, also known as Renoir, which is a stonking phone
Samsung Omnia, very nice, but a bit scared off Samsung

Opinions, pls??

No comments: