Friday 31 October 2008

A day in the life


It's Halloween. Once upon another lifetime, this used to be kinda exciting, getting dressed up and partaking in some sort of Halloween related japes. Now we're all a bit older and it's a bit old hat, rousing from the dead, scaring people, avoiding guising teenagers etc. Some of my friends don't even bother being undead any more, it's just not like it used to be when we were newly dead. I mean, there's the whole choosing a look, planning what to do. With all the genuinely undead, also known as alive people, dressed up like witches and ghosts and tarts, it's relatively easy to slip in amongst a crowd, and if the make up's not so good, looking a bit pale is ok, you just fit right in.

Ah, I just received a message from the girls, it's all go after all. Marvellous, I've spent all day getting ready. Head? check. Flesh? check. Skin? check. Make up? check. Hair? Cloak? check. Ups, nearly forgot: feet. And shoes, mustn't forget shoes. Damned people that die of natural causes, they don't have to remember things so much, everything's just there with just the flesh and skin needing popped over the top.

I hope we don't just go for the graveyard again, that's really pretty boring. Just sitting there staring at passers by with empty eyes, it's deeply unsatisfying. And I'm not so keen on the revenge ones, it's a bit gruesome sometimes, especially if they go for the head. I'm a bit squeamish myself, which is a bit ironic considering what happened to me and all, but I just find it a bit distasteful. No, I prefer good old fashioned scaring, stepping out of the shadows and doing the staring thing right in someone's face is so much more fun than just sitting there staring away. Walking right up to someone silently then breathing down their neck usually gets the right level of spookiness, or maintaining a distance and matching them step for step, stopping when they stop, disappearing into the shadows, again and again, until the last time, not disappearing and laughing as I look into their eyes with my dead and glassy eyes. I like doing the appearing thing, maybe next year if the girls aren't up for it I'll join the majority and just go for the invisible march at midnight, the moment when all the undead walk together once more and all the world stands still as a chill passes over every living heart. And of course, there's always that moment when He appears, to add to our number and take away...




that breath you're holding.

No comments: